Sharadchandra Govindrao Pawar is also well-known as Sharad Pawar, who is the former Chief Minister of Maharashtra. Moreover, he is the founder and the chief of the Nationalist Congress Party. Notably, Pawar decided to step down as the NCP Chief on May 2, 2023, but his party committee declined the decision and urged him to continue as the party chief. On may 5th 2023, Pawar finally ended all speculations and took back his resignation. Which brought optimal level of happiness to his fans and followers faces.
Who Is Sharad Pawar?
Sharad Pawar was born on 12th December, 1940 to Govindrao Pawar and Shardabai Pawar. He completed his study at Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce in Pune. Pawar is married to Pratibha, who is the daughter of the test cricketer Sadashiv Shinde. The couple have daught named Supriya sule, who represents the Baramati constituency in the 17th Lok Sabha. Interestingly, Sharad Pawar is the oldest and senior member of Pawar political dynastic family of Maharashtra.
Sharad Pawar Personal Information & More
|Full Name||Sharad Pawar|
|Date of birth||12 Dec 1940 (Age 82)|
|Place of Birth||Baramati|
|Party Name||Nationalist Congress Party|
Sharad Pawar Early Life
Sharad Pawar was born on 12th December, 1940 in Baramati which is in Pune, Maharashtra. He completed his graduation in commerce. On 1st August, 1967, he married a woman named Pratibha and had one daughter named Supriya Sule, who is a Member of Parliament.
Sharad Pawar Family
Sharad Pawar’s father, Govindrao Pawar, was a prominent social worker and a member of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly. He was a leading figure in the cooperative movement in Maharashtra and played a key role in the development of agriculture in the state. Govindrao Pawar was also a close associate of Yashwantrao Chavan, who was one of the founders of the Indian National Congress.
Sharad Pawar’s mother, Shardabai Pawar, was also actively involved in social work and was a member of the Women’s welfare committee in Baramati.
Sharad Pawar has two brothers and two sisters. His elder brother, Appasaheb Pawar, was a member of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly and served as a minister in the Maharashtra government. His younger brother, Pratap Pawar, is a businessman and is actively involved in the NCP.
Wife and Children
Sharad Pawar is married to Pratibha Pawar and has one daughter, Supriya Sule. Supriya Sule is also a politician and is a member of the Lok Sabha from Baramati constituency. She is also the president of the Nationalist Congress Party’s Women’s wing.
|Father’s Name||Govindrao Pawar|
|Mother’s Name||Shardabai Pawar|
|Spouse’s Name||Pratibha Shinde|
|Spouse’s Profession||Business and Agriculture|
|Children||Daughter- Supriya Sule|
|Siblings||Brother- Pratap Govindrao Pawar|
Sister- Saroj Patil
Relationships & More
Sharad Pawar Education & Qualification
Sharad Pawar completed education from Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce, Pune.
|College/University||Brihan Maharashtra college of Commerce, University of Pune|
Physical Stats & More
|Height (approx)||in centimeters- 175 cm|
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet inches- 5’9″
|Weight (approx)||Not Known|
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper (semi-bald)|
Sharad Pawar Contibutions
During the time period of seven years as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Sharad Pawar turned the state into a leading industrial center of the country. He was also involved in the economic development of Maharashtra and introduced the advantages of the IT revolution in Baramati. Vasantdada Sugar Institute, which is the best institute for the advanced sugar technology, is supervised by Mr. Pawar and is also the institute that has connections with international institutions. Sharad Pawar is also the President of Vidya Pratishthan, a famous educational institution in Baramati, Maharashtra.
Sharad Pawar Political Career
Sharad Pawar started his political career in the 1960 when he was elected to the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly. He went on to become the Chief Minister of Maharashtra three times and held several positions in the Indian government, including Minister of Defence, Minister of Agriculture, and Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution.
In 1999, Pawar founded the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) after breaking away from the Indian National Congress. Since then, the NCP has become a prominet political party in Maharashtra and has played a significant role in the state’s politics.
Sharad Pawar Achievements
Sharad Pawar’s achievements in politics are many. As Chief Minister of Maharashtra, he played a crucial role in the state’s development, focusing on infrastructure projects, rural development, and education. As Minister of Agriculture, he introduced several reforms to improve agricultural productivity, which helped to increase the country’s food production.
Pawar has also been actively involved in promoting sports in India. He was the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and played an instrumental role in the development of Indian cricket. He also played a significant role in bringing the 2011 Cricket World Cup to India.
Sharad Pawar Controversies
- In 1992-93, then CM of Maharashtra Sudhakarrao Naik disclosed that Pawar asked him to “go easy on Pappu Kalani”, a well-known criminal-turned-politician.
- Pawar is also alleged to have close links with the underworld don Dawood Ibrahim through Dawood’s henchman Lakhan Singh who was also a suspect in the 2G spectrum scam.
- In 2007, BJP alleged that Pawar was involved in a multi-crore scam involving wheat imports.
- In 2011, Sharad Pawar declared his assets to be worth US$2.7 million, but the critics claimed that his wealth far exceeded the stated amount.
- Former corporate lobbyist Nira Radia told the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) that Pawar might have spoken with former telecom minister A. Raja about the allocation of spectrum and license to Swan Telecom.
- After attending a literary function in November 2011, Pawar was smacked by a youth named Harvinder Singh for his involvement in Corruptions.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sharad Pawar
- Sharad Pawar hails from Katewadi, a village that is 10 kilometers away from Baramati.
- Pawar was an average student during his student life.
- Pawar’s daughter Supriya Sule is also an active politician.
- Sharadd Pawar’s younger brother, Pratap Govindrao Pawar runs the influential Marathi daily newspaper, Sakal.
- Pawar has a great interest in sports such as cricket, kabaddi, kho kho, wrestling, and football. He has managed many sports departments of his state like Mumbai Cricket Association, Maharashtra Wrestling Association, Maharashtra Kabbadi. Association, Maharashtra Kho Kho Association, Maharashtra Olympics Association, etc.
- He became the president of BCCI in 2005.
- In 2010, he became the president of ICC (International Cricket Council).
- In 2017, he was given the second-highest civilian award of the Republic of India, the Padma Vibhushan.
- On 2 May 2023, Sharad Pawar announced his decision of quitting the post of NCP President and said that he would remain active in politics. While addressing the party workers at his autobiography book launch in Mumbai, he said,
“I have three years left of Rajya Sabha membership in Parliament, during which I will focus on issues related to Maharashtra and India, with a caveat of not taking any responsibility. After a long period of public lifel from May 1, 1960, to May 1, 2023, it is necessary to take a step back. Hence, I have decided to step down as President of the Nationalist Congress Party,”
On 5 May 2023, he took back decision and announced that he would continue as the party chief.
What is the full form of NCP?
NCP’s full form is the Nationalist Congress Party.
In which year the Nationalist Congress Party was founded?
Sharad Pawar founded the Nationalist Congress Party in the year 1999. He also holds the position of NCP Chief since 1999.
Is Sharad Pawar still holds the NCP Chief position?
Yes, Sharad Pawar decided to step down from the NCP Chief position on May 2, 2023. But due to party committee and well wishers ample level of urges, Pawar had to take his resignation back on May 5, 2023.
What is Sharad Pawar’s date of birth?
Sharad Pawar’s date of birth is December 12, 1940.
How old is Sharad Pawar?
Sharad Pawar is 82-year-old (As of 2023)
What is Sharad Pawar’s qualification?
Sharad Pawar completed education from Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce, Pune.
Who is Sharad Pawar’s wife?
Pratibha Shinde is the wife of Sharad Pawar.
Who is Sharad Pawar?
Sharad Pawar is the former Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
- Sreejita De Biography
- T.S. Singh Deo Biography
- Chandrashekhar Azad Ravan Biography
- Ajit Pawar Biography
At Studymatarial.com, we strive to create a friendly, welcoming atmosphere for all of our visitors, regardless of age or background. We value feedback from our users, and appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that can help us improve the website experience.